Changing homes can be hectic and requires a tremendous amount of time and effort. Since it is quite an extensive procedure, it is very important to pre-plan a couple of months before the big day which would help you avoid any last minute moving complications.
The best way to do so is by creating a personal moving checklist which can involve the following main things:
- List of possessions that are to be move
- Legal transfer documents
- List of equipment needed to move possessions
California55Plus Real Estate has created a checklist that you can use while moving your house. This process is crazy and anything to help maintain moving organization and stress is a handy tool to have.
What to do before the Move from
- Purchase a calendar to mark reminders linked to house moving including important events, appointments etc.
- Make a list of all your possessions and put aside those you intend to keep.
- Arrange a yard sale to do away with those possessions which you do not need any more.
- Store moving equipment like cartons, duct tapes or plastic bags.
- Manage all legal documents you might need during the process including contracts, tax bills etc.
- If you are moving to another city or state, apply for the collection of all legal documents from your local schools, hospitals etc.
- Make an appointment with a local home moving company for a moving truck and other services.
- Inform your employer and submit an application for leave for a couple of days at least.
Three Weeks before Moving:
- Contact those you know and inform them about your future house moving.
- Contact agencies like the newspaper agency, post office or Telephone Company and inform them about your future change in address.
- Inform your local utility providers including electricity, gas and water companies about the decided cutoff date and arrange a new utility start date for your new home.
Two Weeks before Moving:
- Go through your personal possessions including clothing. Pack those you intend to take along and donate those you don’t want to keep to a local charity.
- Deposit important legal documents to a bank for safe keeping.
- Pack away any home decorations safely.
One Week before Moving:
- Pack items of everyday use. Label them and put them into separately marked cartons and boxes.
- Discard extra utensils like pipes, cans or buckets which you do not need to take along.
- Make a complete list of essential items you will need in the last week to make sure you do not leave anything behind.
- Call a local home services provider in the area you will be moving into and schedule a complete house service including cleaning, washing and pest control spray.
- Clean kitchen utensils and remove the plugs a day prior to moving.
The Big Day:
- Stay focused and relaxed.
- Double check the equipment before loading them into the moving trucks.
- Make sure all the cartons are labeled to avoid any confusion.
- Switch off all electronic appliances.
- Turn off gas lines and water pipes for the home.
- Go through the house completely before locking it up to make sure you are not leaving anything behind.